Society of London Theatre (SOLT) is an organisation that works with and on behalf of our Members to champion theatre and the performing arts.
We deliver a range of services both to assist our members and to promote theatregoing to the widest possible audience.
Our Members are the movers and shakers of the London theatre industry. Together they form the community of producers, theatre owners and managers who present shows in the capital’s major commercial and grant-aided theatres. Click here to see a list of our Member theatres.
SOLT was established in 1908 by actor and theatre manager Sir Charles Wyndham, when it was known as the Society of West End Theatre Managers.
In 1975 the organisation became known as the Society of West End Theatre, before taking on its current title in 1994 to reflect the wider representation covered by our Membership.
Our work to promote audiences
We promote theatregoing to the general public through a number of channels including:
Our work with Members
The work we do to support our Members includes:
- Championing theatre in every aspect
- Researching and collecting relevant data
- Strengthening and connecting the theatre community
- Providing advice on legal, general and employment relations matters
- Managing the process of collective bargaining with various entertainment unions (MU, BECTU, Equity etc)
- Providing a range of commercial services to benefit the membership as a whole