The Theatre Casting Toolkit aims to help make the UK’s stages and rehearsal rooms more reflective of modern society.
Designed for people involved in any part of the casting process the website offers a set of practical tools, a resources library and reflective ‘food for thought’.
The Toolkit was developed by Tonic following a commission from Society of London Theatre (SOLT) and UK Theatre, in response to the needs of industry members. Individuals and organisations and theatre companies across the UK theatre industry, including Equity and the Casting Directors Guild, were involved in consultation and trialling.
Tools on the platform include:
- a complex tracker spreadsheet developed in partnership with the National Theatre Data Studio, which allows theatre companies to set targets for better onstage representation, record casting decisions and collect nuanced data across multiple productions
- a checklist for ensuring audition spaces are accessible
- a glossary of relevant language and terminology
- legal FAQs around discrimination
- tips on managing change
- a character tool to encourage broader thinking around the casting process
- a ‘what are we watching?’ spreadsheet for keeping track of productions you are seeing and venues you are visiting
- a resource library signposting existing organisations, initiatives, and materials, showcasing great work already happening to improve representation in the theatre industry and beyond.
‘By creating a hub of resources and practical tools - some designed by Tonic from scratch and others generated by experts from across theatre - we hope to convert conversation into action. The Toolkit is designed to be organic and adaptable, and we welcome feedback and suggestions from users.’
Lucy Kerbel, founder of Tonic Theatre
Thank you to all the industry experts and organisations who contributed to the consultation process.